I say it in every post I start, but…..If you haven’t had an opportunity, make sure you check out my last blog post before reading this one as they are building on each other. If you haven’t read it, you can Click Here to get easy access to it!
So now that you’ve chosen your hosting company and paid the small fee associated with that company to host your website, it’s time to connect your domain and you’re hosting company – get them talking to each other.
That sounds really complicated. Granted there are quite a few steps in the process, but if you follow them, you can’t go wrong. And even if you do, there are great customer service reps just a phone call away.
Every hosting company is just a little bit different, but it’s pretty much the same across the board. You don’t have to understand it, just follow the directions – if you get stuck, contact your hosting company for help! – Cool let’s get started.
Here are the steps to changing the NameServers:
- Check and open your email from your hosting company – sometimes it’s in spam so check ALL your folders.
- Find where it says DNS records – there should be two
- Log in to your Hosting Company AND your Registrar company
- On your registrar, there should be an option that says to manage your domains. Click that
- Find your domain and click on it. It will open up all the details for your domain. Scroll down to where it says DNS Records or NameServers
- Go back to your email, copy the first DNS Record
- Go to your Registrar, and change the firs record – paste in the new DNS Record
- Rinse and repeat
- Save when you’re done.
Note: It can take anywhere from 24-48 hours for your domain and hosting company to propogate the domain. But usually I’ve found that it works instantly.
You should be able to go to your domain name type it in, in Google and it should come up with a message saying where it’s parked, or being hosted at.
There you have it. It can be more complicated than that sometimes, but for the most part, it’s pretty easy to do. And don’t worry, you can’t mess it up. The support service for the companies are incredibly helpful
If you do have a question, you can always get in touch with me Here.
Have a great day and I’ll see ya on the next blog post!